Friday, March 20, 2009

Wednesdays With My Mom


Home from the Honeymoon, in front of their first apartment as man and wife.


NOTICE: This project below, is only partially finished. This is where we left off last week.

Oh, how I wish I would have taken a photo before we did anything to the clock. The whole thing was a bright "Brady Bunch" orange. My mom always mentions little projects she would like to tackle some day and one by one, I try to make them happen...even if I don't know what I'm doing.

This is the finished product, below. We stained the whole thing, leaving just a hint of orange showing through by sanding lightly. I also darkened the face so it wouldn't be such a BRIGHT orange and then speckled it, using the black stain on a toothbrush and running my thumb across it. That process throws out speckles everywhere. *Should be done over newspaper or outside.

Next, I hung these two pictures my mom use to have in her last house.
Then, we went to Home Depot to pick out some brown paint, so I could paint this little ledge above the back of the cabinets. It's been bothering her for awhile, having the white butt up against the brown of the cabinets. Such a simple job... to bring so much contentment to her. : )
Then, my two little "fairies" came by for a bit and decided to do some more dancing for G.G.
So Sweet!!!
Then, off to the grocery store and we called it a day. Another successful Wednesday. : )

15 comments:

marie said...

The clock really looks great ~ it's hard to imagine it bright "brady bunch" orange!

I can absolutely see why the strip of white paint bothered your mom - that's the kind of thing that makes me crazy. You're - what a simple fix to make her happier.

I love how you spend time with your mom and how you share it here. What a wonderful opportunity for you and her....and the dancing fairies too!

Darlene said...

That clock is fabulous...I love the shape of it!

Also, to do such simple things and isn't it great that it brings your mom such pleasure?!?!

The dancing queens would just brighten up anyone's day!!♥

Melinda said...

Hi there...love your blog! Thank you for the compliments on my breadbox! I didn't paint the roses free hand. I drew them, then painted them!

Seeya again soon,
Melinda

Cami said...

The clock looks great! And I TOTALLY remember those two pictures hanging in their Cedar City house, oh memories.

Christina said...

Oh, the clock is great.

I love the picture of your mom and dad. Love the hat and suit. I remember my mom saying that her mom and sister never went anywhere without a hat on. Times have changed, but weren't the hats and such fabulous.

Very cute appliqued butterfly shirt too.

Beth at Aunties said...

Your Wednesdays look like special days. I wish my mom lived closer:)
The clock turned out great and it is fun to have mother and daghter time togetehr.
Our grandkids call my mom GG also!
Your dancing fairies looked like little sweethearts!

Tennille said...

love your blog!! What great ideas you have-thanks for sharing!!!!

Small House said...

As much as I like everything "Brady," the clock is gorgeous with it's new look. Your mom can relax a bit now. A couple more things crossed off her to do list. It's fun to read about your outings with her, and all you do.
Have a great day.
Sandra

Mimi Sue said...

You got so much done. I know how much she appreciates it. You know it's the little things that make a big difference. The clock turned out great. You know they're saying that orange is the new red. I guess everything comes back around eventually. Hope you had a great Sunday. Mimi

Molly Anne said...

Orange - ugh! About the only thing I like orange on is ...maybe a 1969Dodge Charger. ;)

The clock turned out great.

I LOVE the photo at top! That sassy little hand on the hip action. :D

Libby Buttons said...

The clock is divine ! You have inspired me.
smiles
LiBBy

Ms. Tee said...

The clock looks great! You have the most creative ideas! :)
And I love that you fixed that white stripe of molding for your mom. Next time I visit my mom(she's 3 hours away) I'm going to do some fixes for her - you've inspired me!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love that clock!

Scrap for Joy said...

I love the picture of your parents-they look like they're very proud of "their" home. It's great that your Mom can fill you in on all the details of life before you and your siblings. You always accomplish a lot during your visits and of course GG was thoroughly entertained by the dancing fairies...who wouldn't be?

Susie Homemaker said...

Look forward to these posts! You're such a good daughter!

Blessings,
Susie