Friday, September 5, 2008

Going forward with Fall

Okay, here's how it all came down today. True Story: I was sitting in the dealership this morning waiting for my car to be done. My sweet friend, Leslie, calls me and says, "What are you doing today? I'm in need of some serious, frivolous girl time. I want to go to Michael's, TJ Maxx, and JoAnn's." I said, "Well, I was going to be good and go straight home after this and clean house all day." But it was a heartfelt plea... so I promised myself I would do, on Saturday, what I was going to do today. So after a bit, Leslie picks me up and we're off. When it came to our stop at the MAXX, I found this little fall garland on clearance for .70 cents. Now, I've been avoiding TJM like a dieter avoids the bakery, because I had spent way too much time there in August with Sara's new room.But how much trouble can you get into with .70? "Wait a..minute." The girl in my head says. The same girl who checked out more Arts & Crafts books during library time in Elementary school than reading books. "I have an idea!"Oh yeah...make that $10.69. You'll notice that BIG apothecary jar to the right on the table. Well, I couldn't believe it was only $9.99. Remember the tall skinny one on my coffee table from yesterday's post? Well, let's just say... it didn't cost $9.99. : ) Okay, down to business. Time to spruce up that little garland. Remember my post a couple of weeks ago subtitled, In Praise of Never Throwing Anything Away? Well what can I say.....Next, I need to paint a small block of wood for my farmer girl to stand on so she will balance out the tall scarecrow. I learned this trick of placing stickers on with tweezers from the PBS show 'Create'.Every year I tell myself I'm not going to pull out this scarecrow that I made back in 19?? because maybe it looks dated, but every year I can't resist because I still love him for some reason.


Happy Fall
to all!










10 comments:

Julie said...

very cute scarecrow!I would always choose some girlfriend time over cleaning:)don't tell anyone lol have a great weekend!
julie

Chris said...

Hi there! I came over here from Kimba, and I'm glad I did! Every post you do is so fun! There's lots of eye candy! I'll be back!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hello! I came over from Kimba's & wanted to say I enjoyed your projects, esp. the damask stencil on the wall. I'm getting ready to do a black/white damask thing & might borrow the stencil idea. It sure it cute in your DD's room.

Welcome to blogging!

Anonymous said...

I came over here from Kimba's too~ I love your blog! You have great ideas and I love Big Lots too! I don't have one near me anymore, and I'm suffering from withdrawls! I'll be back!

Rue said...

I have to aviod Michaels and Homegoods like you do TJM. I can spend way more money in there than any one woman should LOL

You did a great job! I love the scarecrow too ;)

rue

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

What a beautiful fall vignette!

And keep that scarecrow!!!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Penny said...

You rock, Nana Reece! You're going to have to teach me to shop like that.

Mimi Sue said...

I've been trying to clean my bathroom for a week. It's getting pretty gross...However I've been out in the beautiful weather making memories instead. Your scarecrow is adorable. If you don't want it anymore I'll take it;) Mimi

Lamp Tramp said...

Love everything you've been doing. Daughter's room looks amazing! Wish I could join you and Nester in the Fall decorating. Just not yet, maybe in a few weeks, things will calm down. Just got online to peek at you!
XOXO

Unknown said...

wow! I think you did terrific-especially for only spending $10.69! I do love TJ Maxx. Haven't tried the new HomeGoods store yet.

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog- I think you and I might be kindred spirits! I always have a back story too!

Also- that scarecrow is too cute to ever be dated. He is too much like a dolly and dolls always fit in!